No Mapping

Does anybody like it? My testers haven't. But if you do, I'd be happy to add some no-mapping allowed levels in Basilisk's Eye.

Comments

• edited March 24

Well...it is very challenging and tough, some times even desperate. But I wouldn' t mind to have one or two locations (maximum) without mapping.. >:)

• Oh no no. Please don't take away mapping. I truly rely on them in my quests both for these games and expansions as well as with other games I play.

Perhaps it could be an option in the game to turn off mapping or something that makes it more challenging for others?

Otherwise, if mapping is taken away from the add-on's in the future on. I will not personally continue playing.

Good question btw.

• edited March 25

What if there were one or two locations where you had the choice of mapping or no mapping?

I personally don't like no mapping. Any map that was no mapping in HOLIV is now mappable.

• @QuestMeThis said:
    Oh no no. Please don't take away mapping. I truly rely on them in my quests both for these games and expansions as well as with other games I play.

Perhaps it could be an option in the game to turn off mapping or something that makes it more challenging for others?

Otherwise, if mapping is taken away from the add-on's in the future on. I will not personally continue playing.

Good question btw.

Catacomber is not talking about removing all mapping, but whether to continue having those areas where the mini-map displays "Denied by strong magic." I am kind of ambivalent about such areas myself; some have been fairly easy while others have been difficult/confusing/frustrating. There are four of these that stick in my mind:

1. Thor's Hammer: The area that you are sent to by the Mad Hatter. Extremely dark and easy to get lost in but can be gotten through if one is careful and methodical.
    2. Celtic Rift: Lost and Found Department, Bureau of Parks Violations, Boscawen Village: Not quite as dark as the previous one, but I did need to use pencil and paper to map it so as to make sure that I did not miss anything due to the places that warped me back to the entrance.
    3. Luko I: The area immediately north of Yaga Taiga. This one was pretty easy as it is above ground and thus well lit.
    4. Luko II: The Strah Mountains. Not too difficult, but I was left wondering whether I had missed something because I kept hearing heavy breathing even after I was sure that I had been everywhere and killed all of the monsters.

If such areas are to continue being used, I suppose that I would prefer them to be like those in examples 3 and 4, rather than like those in examples 1 and 2.

• I personally don’t like areas without maps. Especially if they are large (like the tunnels in Celtic Doom). I can only remember one that seemed appropriate to the storyline, but mostly they are just frustrating.
  • I agree with DadSal. When areas have no mapping, I just have to map them manually on paper. It is just a time consuming task that serves no questing purpose, since I still end up with a map, just in a more tedious way. Please provide mapping in all areas. Thank you.

• edited March 25

@Thenedor said:

@QuestMeThis said:
    Oh no no. Please don't take away mapping. I truly rely on them in my quests both for these games and expansions as well as with other games I play.

Good question btw.

Catacomber is not talking about removing all mapping, but whether to continue having those areas where the mini-map displays "Denied by strong magic." I am kind of ambivalent about such areas myself; some have been fairly easy while others have been difficult/confusing/frustrating. There are four of these that stick in my mind:

1. Thor's Hammer: The area that you are sent to by the Mad Hatter. Extremely dark and easy to get lost in but can be gotten through if one is careful and methodical.
    2. Celtic Rift: Lost and Found Department, Bureau of Parks Violations, Boscawen Village: Not quite as dark as the previous one, but I did need to use pencil and paper to map it so as to make sure that I did not miss anything due to the places that warped me back to the entrance.
    3. Luko I: The area immediately north of Yaga Taiga. This one was pretty easy as it is above ground and thus well lit.
    4. Luko II: The Strah Mountains. Not too difficult, but I was left wondering whether I had missed something because I kept hearing heavy breathing even after I was sure that I had been everywhere and killed all of the monsters.

If such areas are to continue being used, I suppose that I would prefer them to be like those in examples 3 and 4, rather than like those in examples 1 and 2.

Oh, oh perhaps I misunderstood. My English has become quite rusty and still proves to be after living in Asia and language wise have been reading/writing and speaking in Chinese for over 30 years. :cold_sweat:

If I understood you correctly. Than I would perhaps have to agree with the notion of not having the "no-mapping option". That is indeed annoying.

Uhg. I mean perhaps being able to see where I am going is the best option? Sigh, sorry folks. Pretty tired also, on the road doing the sojourn experience.

I do hope what ever the direction of the expansions go, are for the the best direction for everyone.

PS

I do like knowing where and not blinded on maps :blush:

• @Catacomber said:
    What if there were one or two locations where you had the choice of mapping or no mapping?

I personally don't like no mapping. Any map that was no mapping in HOLIV is now mappable.

Cat, how would such a choice work? Would it not require a change to the user interface and/or the underlying game engine? Also would existing expansions still work in such a situation, or would they be broken until such time as they could be updated?

(Obviously, questions born out of ignorance of how the game engine works and how expansions are created/developed.)

• Not talking about touching anything in the already out-there expansions or the game engine or interface or anything like that. I personally don't like not being able to see where I am. But a few people like the challenge if there aren't too many levels where you can't see where you are.

In a new expansion, you might have one level where you tap on a cave hole for example and it gives you the choice of wanting the challenge of not being able to see the map in that cave or to see it.

Basically, that means I'd create two duplicate levels--one you see the map, one you don't. Maybe in the no mapping level you would get greater rewards for the challenge.

We're talking about new expansions where there would be no change to the interface or game engine. It's all coded as a choice on the level entrance whether to enter the level and see the map or essentially you'd enter a different duplicate level and not see the map.

• :smile: I think the consensus is that no one really likes not being able to see the map. I don't either so we will not go there. :smile:

• I like challenges, so one not mapped smaller area could be great with particular reward...

• I'm with Aeon on that. I have a grid paper notebook for mapping and other record keeping for this game. Having the opportunity to gain greater reward for a bit of pencil work is worth it in my opinion. One or two smaller or even optional maps like that would be fun.
    Just my two cents.
    Keep up the great work.
  • Thanks. That sounds good. One level.